Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thoughts and Musings about Women Comics Bloggers

Since I became a comics fan, I've read quite a few blogs, many of which were written by women.  Women may be a minority in the comics audience, but from my experience they are a vocal minority.  If something ticks them off about a character or a storyline, they are more than willing to let you know.  It's great.  They are sharing their love of comics with the world and tackling issues that they find important.  As far as I'm concerned, the more fans discuss and debate comics, the better the comics community will be for it.

But there's a trend I've noticed with some women comics bloggers.  Women in Refrigerators, When Fangirls Attack!, Zamaron . . . maybe it's just the blogs I've read, but it seems like women comics bloggers are focused almost entirely on women's issues.  There's nothing wrong with that . . . but I can't see myself ever do that.  It's just too limiting.  Too restrictive.

There are countless things that you can comment on in comics: plot, character development, the current trends and direction of the comics industry.  There are endless amounts of debates to be had: Should Spider-Man have organic web shooters?  Are editors overstepping their bounds when they mandate storylines?  What's the ideal Justice League line-up?  Did the X-Men end up embracing racist thinking when they adopted the "homo superior" talk of Magneto?

Why limit yourself to just "women's issues" when there are so many other issues that are out there to discuss?  Why should the be-all and the end-all of the woman comics blogger be women's issues?

If a character is well-written and complex, I don't care if they're a man or a woman.  As long as they're a fully-fleshed out character, I'm happy.  I didn't care, and in fact didn't notice, that the superheroes on Batman: The Brave and the Bold were outnumbering the superheroines by a huge margin until it was pointed out to me.  I was too busy having fun watching the show and geeking out over the appearance of some of my favorite C-Listers.  I didn't care what the exact male-to-female hero ratio was as long as the show was good.

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me on that.  They would argue that there aren't enough women in comics and that it does matter whether that character is a man or a woman.  It does matter if there are less female heroes out there than male.  That because of this, there should be more focus on women's issues in comics.

That's fine.  If they want to blog about women's issues, more power to them.  But I'm not going to restrict myself to only a narrow range of issues.

I love comics.  I also happen to be a woman.  The two have nothing to do with each other.


Edit: Fixed really stupid typo.

No comments:

Post a Comment